Saturday, July 16, 2011

Home-Made Enclosure - Main Board

I am waiting for the IC's to arrive from Digikey, so I decided to start working on the enclosure. After finally purchasing a Dewalt router so I can use the 50 new router bits my parents gave me for Christmas, I set out to build the main enclosure out of wood. I believe I have cherry-laminated plywood (correct me if I'm wrong), which I carefully beveled at 45 degree angles on the inner edges. After assembly using glue and finishing nails, I filled in the nail holes and sanded it down. Personally, I am really impressed with myself. This job took about 4 hours, but I bet I could get it down to maybe 2 hours or so if I were to do it again.


The dimensions are 4"x7"x2" and it is open underneath. When the circuitry is complete, I will make a bottom plate for the board to sit on and drill the holes for the wires. I'm still trying to decide what finish the box will get. By the way, my wife has convinced me to make the small nixie tube boxes (where the tubes will actually be located) out of wood as well. I might chronicle the construction of those pieces.

share on: facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment